So the classic “series of miniseries,” Phonogram, has finally returned with its third fantastic volume. This concept from writer Kieron Gillan and artist Jamie McKelvie looks at music as a form of ritual magick, which is controlled by “Phonomancers.” On one level it is a look at the power of music and a celebration of “Britpop,” but it is also a great look at mythology, memory, and the lingering effect of love and loss in your life. Phonogram was a direct precursor to the team’s later amazing series The Wicked + Divine, which is an ongoing hit at Image.
Now with the third series underway, there is a lot of confusion of where to start with Phonogram and in what order to read it. We thought we would go through one of our favorite series and give you a short reading order so you can get started. The Wicked + Divine is not technically a part of Phonogram, but it certainly is close, so we are actually going to put it into the reading order as an optional read.
Since each issue of Phonogram is also tied directly to a music album, we are going to put that in as well to help you get a fuller understanding of how to jump into the series.
Phonogram Reading Order
- Without Your Permission, Album: Elastica-Elastica
- Can’t Imagine the World Without Your, Album: It’s Great When You’re Straight… Yeah – Black Grape
- Faster, Album: Definitely Maybe – Oasis
- Murder Park, Album: Modern Life Is Rubbish – Blur
- Kissing With Dry Lips, Album: Suede – Suede
- Live Forever, Album: The Holy Bible – Manic Street Preachers
- Pull Shapes, Album: The Pipettes – Pull Shapes
- Wine and Bed and More and Again, Album: CSS – Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death from Above
- We Share Our Mother’s Health, Album: The Knife – We Share Our Mothers’ Health
- Konichiwa Bitches, Album: Robyn – Konichiwa Bitches
- Lust Etc, Album: The Long Blondes – Lust in the Movies
- Ready to be Heartbroken, Album: Camera Obscura – Lloyd, I’m Ready to Be Heartbroken
- Wolf Like Me, Album: TV on the Radio – Wolf Like Me
The Wicked + The Divine (Optional)
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act
#1-6 (Issue names and albums not yet available)